2. Strawberry Shortcakes
Strawberry shortcake is probably my favorite healthy dessert.
I love when summer comes around and you can buy really fresh, ripe strawberries, because this recipe works best with the freshest ingredients.
It's a great treat any time of year, though.
This version is really easy, since it involves pre-made cakes, and the good news is that the spongecake you use is really low in fat.
With this recipe, the fat per serving is miniscule, and you only take in 113 calories!
1 tablespoon calorie-free sweetener
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries (about 1 pint)
6 spongecake dessert shells (5-ounce package)
Combine sweetener and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
Stir in orange juice.
Bring to a boil;
cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
Remove from heat, and stir in extract.
Combine orange juice mixture and strawberries in a bowl;
Cover and chill 30 minutes.
To serve, spoon sauce over dessert shells.
Tip: This luscious sauce is also good spooned over no-sugar-added ice cream, angel food cake, or fat-free pound cake.
- Health Trend: 7 Nutrients in White Strawberries You Must Be Getting ...
- 8 Fab Makeup Tips for Strawberry Blondes ...
- You've Got to Try These New Ways to Eat Strawberries - Yum!
- 7 Deliciously Sweet Strawberry Desserts That Taste so Good ...
- 7 Super Cute Strawberry-Inspired DIY Projects ...
- How Lazy Girls 🛌 Can Keep Themselves Healthy 💪🏼 ...