Fall is here! And we all know what that means!! Candles, candles, and more candles! But, did you know that there are some health risks of scented candles that you should be aware of?
We all love the smell of scented candles. My personal favorite, especially in the fall, is pumpkin spice. Did you know that scented candles are actually bad for you? For all of us?
Many people love the ambiance of burning candles. It’s almost therapeutic. But are the harmful chemicals, such as benzene, paraffin wax, phtalates, lead, and toluene, worth it? These chemicals are dangerous as they are considered free radicals and can cause some health problems when breathed in. These chemicals are also known to cause other issues, such as cancer, asthma, eczema, and other allergies. The chemicals mentioned can also cause reproductive issues in women, as well as immune system and nervous system issues. Ever wonder why you have a headache after being around scented candles for long periods of time? It’s because of the chemicals. Many people cannot tolerate the over powering smells of scented candles and can get sick. These health risks of scented candles should make you think twice. But there is something you can do.
You can use unscented and safer candles such as soy, beeswax, and woodwick candles instead. Woodwick candles are scented, however, they are naturally scented with essential oils. That's definitely a better choice!
Check out my article on how to make a woodwick candle.