Wondering about the benefits of a weighted blanket? A weighted blanket offers pressure and sensory input to people with restlessness, insomnia, stress, autism, ADHD and other psychological disorders. Most therapists use it as a soothing tool or for inducing sleep. The pressure created by the weighted blanket stimulates your brain to release a hormone known as serotonin, which is regarded as a relaxing hormone. Let’s learn more about the benefits of a weighted blanket.
1. How It Works
The best anxiety blanket works by making use of ‘Deep Pressure Therapy’ or ‘Spatial Awareness’. When your body feels loved or receives a hug, it naturally secretes a chemical termed as serotonin. This hormone is responsible for making you happy and calm. According to experts, serotonin is a natural relaxant. When you go to sleep, the serotonin in your body transforms into melatonin. Melatonin is released during the night and helps to put you to sleep. When you are cuddled up in a weighted blanket, your body stimulates the formation of melatonin, which in turn helps with a good night’s sleep.
2. How Heavy Should a Weighted Blanket Be?
You can determine the weight of a weighted blanket by your own weight. Most professionals recommend that adults should purchase a blanket that is 5 to 10 percent of their body weight. If you need a weighted blanket for a child, consider a weighted blanket that is 10 percent of their body weight, with 1 to 2 pounds extra. If you are unable to decide which weighted blanket will be the right one for you, you may consider seeking the help of an occupational therapist.
3. What Should You Look for when Buying a Weighted Blanket?
There are numerous factors that you should consider when choosing the best weighted blanket. Here are a few important guidelines to make your purchase easier.
• Fabric: Most weighted blankets are made with a dotted fabric, while others are made of cotton. It is really your choice to choose the fabric of a weighted blanket. Usually, people choose cotton fabric since it is soft and comfortable to use.
• Weight: In order to make the weighted blanket heavy, most companies use quite safe materials. Usually, the manufacturers use steel shot beads, poly-pellets and glass beads. You will also find weighted blankets with weights, such as barley or rice.
• Sewing Patterns: The important thing that you should consider when choosing the right blanket is whether the weight is distributed evenly. You will not like the weight moving throughout the night, and end up accumulating to one side. The best weighted blanket is the one with stitched pockets that help to distribute the weight evenly throughout the blanket.
• Easy Wash: The last factor to look for in the weighted blanket is that it is easily washable at home. It is best to check with the seller about the type of fabric and weight they have used in their weighted blanket.
4. Are You Able to Use a Weighted Blanket? Find out
It is worth noting that a weighted blanket may add some weight, as well as heat. Thus, if you have apprehensions regarding your health, you should consult your physician before using a weighted blanket. People with respiration issues, menopausal issues, life-threatening health conditions and circulation issues should definitely talk to their doctor before using a weighted blanket.
5. Where to Buy Weighted Blankets?
You can find weighted blankets at online stores, at an amazing prices with lots of fabrics, colors and weights. A few of the options are Amazon and Etsy.